Feta & Spinach Stuffed Chicken
This dish will “wow” your friends & family. I’m not a huge fan of chicken breast, but the feta & chicken stuffing moistens & flavors the chicken and takes it past your standard chicken breast recipe. Take the time to sear it for extra taste and texture. Check out all other recipes at: https://eatsimplefood.com/recipes/
Check out Eat Simple Food’s video showing you how to butterfly, stuff, and tie up chicken breast. Tying up meat is a breeze once you know how to do it and get enough practice.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish / Dinner
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: International
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (~ 5 ounces each), butterflied
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta
- 12 sun dried tomatoes, sliced
- 6 pieces of kitchen twine ~1 1/2′ long each
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Butterfly chicken breasts (some stores will do this for you at the meat counter). Butterflying may sound intimidating but it is basically cutting the piece of meat in half but leaving the end portion uncut (making it look like an open book). You can pound the chicken with a meat tenderizer between plastic to make it flatter if you need/want to. I like to use kitchen twine to tie it all together.
- In the middle (but more towards one side) of each piece of chicken lay down:
- a fat layer of fresh spinach (~1/2 cup)
- a fat layer of crumbled feta (~1/4 cup)
- 2 sliced sun dried tomatoes
- Tie it up. Lightly olive oil, salt and pepper each side and add any herbs you may like. Sear the chicken for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes per side if desired on the stovetop (medium high pan with light layer of oil) and then transfer chicken (make sure the pan is oven safe) to the oven for ~ 12-15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165F. Conversely, you can bake at 400F for ~ 20-25 minutes or until temp reaches 165F.
- If you want the chicken to brown, turn the broiler on in the last 2-3 minutes but watch it carefully. Let chicken rest 5 minutes before serving. Add sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Buy skin on chicken if you don’t want to mess with butterflying or tying. You can stuff the ingredients underneath the skin.
- Make a pan sauce if you sear the chicken. Deglaze the pan with 3/4-1 cup white wine or chicken broth and reduce the sauce by 1/2
- You can also use frozen spinach but will need to defrost and wring out any excess moisture.
- Use any leftovers: capers, olives, artichokes, parmesan. Put only as much in as you can tie up!
- Dairy Intolerant? Vegan Cheese also works.
Things In My Kitchen:
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Chicken, Gluten Free, Low Carb, Keto, Spinach, Feta, Stuffed Chicken, Feta Chicken