Braised Lamb w/ Mint & Almond Pesto
Lamb shoulder slow cooked with carrots and flavored with tomato juice, red wine, cumin, and paprika. This delicious braised recipe is garnished with a fresh mint/almond/pea “pesto”. Serve over egg noodles or cooked rice. Don’t want to sear and cook on the stovetop? No problem – throw the lamb ingredients into a crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours.
Crockpot users: Toss all the ingredients into the crockpot and cook low 6-8 hours.
Insta Pot users: Sear the meats first and set aside. Toss all ingredients into the pot and set for 45 minutes. Follow cool down instructions. If time is low throw it all without searin & walk away.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 90 Minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop / Oven / Crockpot /Instant Pot
- Cuisine: International
- 2 lb boneless lamb shoulder or leg, trimmed & cut in 2″ cubes
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled & diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1/3 cup fresh mint, sliced
- 1/3 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 an orange, zested
- 1 tsp garlic, finely minced or smashed
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper the cubed lamb.
- Bring a stockpot to medium high heat and add enough vegetable oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Sear lamb in batches until dark brown on all sides (~ 2 minutes per side). Set aside in a bowl when seared.
- Reduce heat and add onions & carrots. Cover, stir occasionally, and cook ~ 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook ~ 2 minutes or until fragrant. Add cumin, paprika, oregano, red wine, lamb & any juices, tomato juice and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook ~ 1 1/2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- Make the “pesto” – Combine all pesto ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Serve lamb over cooked rice or egg noodles and and garnish with pesto. Add salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
TIP: Making a lot of food on the stovetop and need the burners? Throw the ovenproof pot in the oven, after it has come to a boil on the stove top, at 300F for around 1 1/2 – 2 hours.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Zester for the zestin’ the orange.
- 6 quart Dutch Oven for searing & braising.
- Splatter Guard so grease doesn’t go everywhere & clean up is easier.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Braised, Lamb, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Crockpot, Instant Pot