Sauteed Cauliflower “Rice”
Romanesco cauliflower is pictured above but any variety of cauliflower will work for this cauliflower rice recipe. It’s a vegetable substitution for rice and makes for a lovely light side dish. This dish is done cooking whenever it’s to your desired consistency. I like to not disturb it too much it as it’s cooking so that it caramelizes just a touch. If you’re not getting the caramelization, turn up the heat but watch carefully.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 large head cauliflower, chunked
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes – optional for spice
- Parmesan Cheese – optional as garnish
- Remove leaves from cauliflower and cut up into large chunks (some of the stem is fine). Place in food processor (do this in batches if necessary – don’t overfill the food processor) and lightly pulse until broken down into rice size pieces. Better to have it a little chunky than soggy.
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat and enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. When hot, add onions. Cook ~ 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent. Add garlic and cook ~ 1 minute or until fragrant. Remove onions & garlic from pan.
- Add cauliflower, salt, and pepper and cook uncovered ` 5-7 minutes without disturbing. Add a touch of oil if it’s starting to dry out. Adjust heat accordingly – look for a brownish crust before stirring. Stir and cook an additional 5-7 minutes uncovered. Mix in cooked onions and garlic.
- Add salt and crushed red pepper to taste. Garnish with parmesan if desired. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Food processor for pulsing the cauliflower lightly. This is a good & affordable 8 cup food processor that a few of my clients have. Good value for the cash.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Cauliflower, Cauliflower Rice, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Low Carb, Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Whole 30, Keto