Steamed Artichoke w/ Lemon Garlic Butter
I love artichokes. My man does not. I will steam an artichoke when he’s out of town, douse it with this garlic lemon butter recipe, and eat it for dinner.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 1 artichoke
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch onion powder
- pinch garlic salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- sea salt to taste
- Bring a large pot with 3″ water and a couple lemon wedges to a boil. Cut the artichoke stem smooth and even so it can stand up on it’s own. Insert a steaming basket into the pot along with the artichoke, preferably standing upright (just set the artichoke upright in the water if you don’t have a steaming basket).
- Reduce the heat to a low boil and cook ~35-45 minutes or until tougher outer leaves pull off easy and flesh is soft.
- Make the sauce: Gently melt the butter in the microwave if needed and combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl and mix.
- Pull a leaf off, dip into butter mixture, and scrap off the tender meat with your teeth. Grab a napkin – that butter can get messy.
- After you eat all the leaves, you will get down to the inedible fuzzy choke. Cut or spoon out the fuzzy thistly choke and dice the heart and 1″ of the stem. The rest of the stem may be too tough or stringy to eat. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Wanna make eating the leaves a less prickly experience? Cut the tips off before cooking.
- Stovetop crowded with other things? Wrap the artichoke in aluminum foil and bake in the oven at 425F for 75 minutes.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Artichoke Steamer – it’s a little luxury item but at least the artichoke doesn’t fall over. Make sure you have a big pot to place it in.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Artichoke, Steamed Artichoke, Gluten Free, Keto, Low Carb, Vegetarian