Borscht is a hearty & filling beet, carrot, and cabbage soup recipe. Perfect for a cold day. Make sure you don’t get it on your clothes though – this vibrant color is hard to get out! You may even want to wear kitchen gloves so your hands don’t stain.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Ukraine
- 2 Tbsp e.v. olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 medium beets, rinsed not peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 medium carrots, rinsed not peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 medium sweet potatoes,rinsed not peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 very small head cabbage, roughly chopped
- water or broth
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped as garnish
- 1 cup sour cream –optional as garnish
- Bring a large pot to medium heat and add olive oil and onions. Sweat the onions for ~ 15 minutes covered, stirring occassionally. Reduce heat and/or add more oil if necessary. You want them translucent, not caramelized.
- Reduce heat to low and add cabbage and 1/2 cup water and stir. Cover and cook ~ 15 minutes or until wilted. Add beets, carrots, sweet potatoes, salt, pepper, and enough water to cover all the vegetable by 1/4″.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook ~ 20-25 minutes (stirring occasionally) or until all vegetables are tender. Blend it with an Immersion blender or blender until smooth. Add salt to taste.
- Spoon into bowls. Top with fresh sour cream and dill. Happy Soupin’! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Blender– For a smoother consistency than an immersion blender but more work to clean.
- Immersion blender – makes fast work of pureeing soups and cleans easily.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Borscht, Beets, Cabbage, Beet Soup, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian, Vegan