Roasted Beet and Pecan Salad
This vibrant romaine & beet salad recipe is tangy, crunchy, rich, and sweet. Roasted beets are easy to make and taste like “healthy” candy. It takes a long time for them to cook (~ 1 hour), but hands on prep time is minimal (5-10 minutes). Use yellow/golden or orange beets if you don’t want to stain your hands or cutting board. Yellow beets generally taste less earthy and more sweet than the red varieties, but the beauty & vibrancy of a red beet is pretty incredible. Plus it turns your poop red.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Salad
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
Ingredient List Salad:
- 3 small red beets, scrubbed, shoot & root trimmed
- 2 medium heads Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 orange, zested
Ingredient List Dressing:
- 1 1/4 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- pinch dried mint
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Wrap each beet in it’s own aluminum foil packet (making sure that it’s tightly closed) and place on a lined baking sheet. Cook ~ 1 hour or until fork pierces softly through the beet. Be careful opening up the aluminum packets to avoid getting a steam burn. Cool, remove skin, and dice.
- Make the dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously. Add salt to taste.
- Lay out a head of rinsed romaine lettuce leaves. You can either chop them up or lay down individual leaves. Add beets and drizzle the dressing. Garnish with pecans & orange zest. Add sea salt to taste. Happy delicious beet eating! Beckie
- Beets can also be boiled for approximately the same time. Make sure to check after the 30 minute mark to see if they are tender and ready.
- Run beets under water to cool down and remove the skin with your hands quickly instead of using a peeler.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Old School Juicer – My mom gave me one of these when I moved out of the house and I still use it.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Beets, Roasted Beets, Holidays, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Keto, Low Carb