Roasted Beets & White Wine Vinaigrette
Properly cooked beets are easy to make and taste like “healthy” candy. Add some vinegar and let them marinate – this beet recipe is so addicting. It takes a long time for them to cook (~ 1 hour), but hands on prep time is minimal (5-10 minutes). Use yellow/golden or orange beets if you don’t want to stain your hands or cutting board. Yellow beets generally taste less earthy and more sweet than the red varieties, but any kind will do.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
- 3 medium sized golden beets, scrubbed, shoot & root trimmed
- 1 cup red onion, sliced thin
Ingredient List Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- ~ 1 Tbsp fresh tarragon or parsley, chopped – optional
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Wrap each beet in it’s own aluminum foil packet (making sure that it’s tightly closed) and place on a lined baking sheet. Cook ~ 1 hour or until fork pierces softly through the beet. Be careful opening up the aluminum packets to avoid getting a steam burn. Cool, remove skin, and cut each beet into wedges.
- Make the vinaigrette: Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake vigorously. Add salt and pepper to taste
- Combine beets with sliced onions and toss with the vinaigrette. Happy delicious beet eating! Beckie
- Beets can also be boiled for approximately the same time. Make sure to check after the 30 minute mark to see if they are tender and ready.
- Run beets under water to cool down and remove the skin with your hands quickly instead of using a peeler.
- Don’t have fresh herbs? Skip the step or add a pinch or two of your favorite dried herb.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Benriner Wide-Body Large Mandoline to slice the onions thin.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Beets, Roasted, Pickled, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Paleo, Whole 30, Low Carb, Holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas