Blood Orange & Roasted Beet Salad
This recipe is as delicious and fresh as it looks. Beautiful seasonal blood oranges sliced and layered with roasted beets in an orange & thyme vinaigrette with a walnut garnish. Blood oranges only come around in the winter. Substitute any orange variety during a different season or if you can’t find them.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: International
- 2 medium beets (pictured is a yellow and red)
- 3 blood oranges, divided
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4-6 thyme sprigs, divided
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Rinse and wrap the beets completely in aluminum foil so no air gets in. Roast beets on a baking sheet ~ 1 hour or until tender when poked with a fork. Be careful when removing aluminum foil to check – you don’t need a steam burn!
- Remove beet skin when cool enough to handle. If the skin is not loose enough to pull off with your hands, then use a knife or peeler to gently pull away the skin. You may want to wear gloves to avoid staining your hands with red beet juice. Slice beets thinly.
- Make the vinaigrette: Remove thyme leaves from three of the thyme sprigs. Juice one orange in a bowl and whisk in 2 Tbsp olive oil, thyme leaves, sea salt, and pepper.
- Remove the peel of the two remaining oranges with a knife. Slice thinly.
- Arrange beets & oranges on a tray or individual plates. Drizzle with vinaigrette over the top and garnish with walnuts and extra thyme sprigs. Add sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Whisks – Set of 3, affordable and they whisk up vinaigrettes and eggs easily.
- Baking Sheets – 12 x 18. Used for baking and roasting nearly anything & everything.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Vinaigrette, Beets, Blood Orange, Orange, Low Carb, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Whole 30, Paleo, Holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas