This chicken cacciatore recipe is made on the stovetop but can easily be made in in a crock-pot for 4-6 hours. Don’t have time to sear the chicken? Skip it. Throw it all in a pot together and walk away. Serve over spaghetti or zucchini noodles and add a little cheese if you like. 3 1/2lb of bone in, skin on legs should be ~12 pieces. Don’t like the bone or the skin? Buy ~ 2 1/2 lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 55 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Crockpot / Instapot / Braised
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 1/2 lb chicken legs (drums and thighs), skin on, bone in
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2/3 cup red wine
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes with basil
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- basil leaves, as garnish
- black pepper
- 1lb pasta, cooked according to instructions (or Zucchini Noodles if Gluten Free)
- Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Bring a large stockpot to medium high heat and add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Sear the chicken 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown. You may need to do this in batches. Set seared chicken aside on a plate or bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions & peppers. Cook ~ 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add mushrooms and cook ~ 4 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except basil garnish.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered ~ 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add salt to taste and garnish with basil. Happy Eating! Beckie
Want to reduce the calories in this recipe? Don’t eat the skin or buy skinless chicken thighs.
Things In My Kitchen:
- 6 quart cast iron pot – This pot is perfect & affordable for slow cookin’ in a dutch oven pot.
- 6 quart programmable crock-pot – Throw everything in, stir, set, and walk away.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Braised, Chicken, Chicken Cacciatore, Chicken Legs, Gluten Free, Dairy Free