Sausage, Bean, Arugula Minestrone
Soup recipes are a great way to get rid of vegetables in the refrigerator. If you don’t have all the ingredients below, try substituting a vegetable you have on hand! For example, I would have normally made this with diced celery, but all I had was Hakurei turnips. Turned out delicious! You can also add 1 cup of macaroni if you want a thicker soup.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish / Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- ~ 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 lb ground chorizo or italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups or 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 cups white turnips, diced
- 8 ounces (~ 1 1/2 cups) cannellini beans, cooked & drained
- 22 ounces canned diced tomatoes with juices
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 5 cups (~ 4 oz) arugula
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shaved optional for garnish
- 1 baguette for dipping, optional
- Bring a large pot to medium high heat and add enough oil (~ 1 1/2 Tbsp) to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add sausage and onions. Cook ~ 6-7 minutes (or until sausage is nearly done) uncovered and add garlic. Cook garlic for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant and then add all remaining ingredients, except for arugula, baguette, and Parmesan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook covered ~ 15 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and add arugula. Stir and spoon into bowls and top with Parmesan. Serve with a chunk of baguette bread for dippin’.
- Add sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Shave off the Parmesan cheese with a vegetable peeler or grate with a microplane.
- Take it up a notch – try adding a spoonful of Basil Pesto to the soup.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Vegetable Peeler– For peeling the carrot and shaving the Parmesan cheese.
- Can opener – Basic & simple.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Minestrone, Soup, Beans, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Sausage, Arugula