Cioppino (Fish Stew)
This fish stew recipe will blow your mind. Ingredient wise, it can be a little intimidating but that’s life y’all – sometimes ya gotta put in the work! Throw in any seafood that you’ve got – mussels, scallops, etc… Tip on fresh muscles and clams – keep them on ice and don’t suffocate them with a bag. Rinse & scrub and put them back on ice. Discard any that are open before you start cooking and discard any that won’t open after they’ve been cooked.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Category: Soup / Stew
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 24 littleneck clams, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) Muir Glen Crushed Tomatoes with Basil
- water that the clams were boiled in
- 2 1/2 cups fish stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp fresh chiffonade basil
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 1/4 lb white fish, cubed (3/4″)
- 1lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 Tbsp (~ 1 lemon) fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped (garnish)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated (optional as garnish)
- 1 large Baguette or crusty bread (optional)
- Bring a large pot with 2″ of water to a boil and add rinsed clams. Boil covered until opened (~ 8-10 minutes). Take them out one at a time as they open and set aside and cover. Reserve the cooking water for the stew and set aside. There may be some sand that settles to the bottom that you will to strain out & discard.
- Bring the same pot to medium high heat and add olive oil. Reduce heat to medium and add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook covered for ~ 8 minutes or until soft. Add anchovies & garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add white wine, tomatoes, clam water (minus any sand!), fish stock, bay leaf, basil, oregano, salt, and crushed red pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered ~ 20 minutes.
- Add fish, shrimp, and cooked clams and cook uncovered for ~ 3-5 minutes or until fish and shrimp are cooked through. Remove from heat and add add lemon juice. Add sea salt to taste. Serve in bowls and top with fresh Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Serve with crusty bread if you like. Happy Eating! Beckie
- You can use other varieties of canned tomatoes but sometimes other crushed varieties are more like tomato sauce and you want some tomato chunks. You can substitute canned diced tomatoes with juices
- Make fresh fish stock out of the shrimp peels, fish carcass, vegetable peels, and random carrots/celery/herbs. Add enough water to cover by ~ 1 1/2 inches, bring to a boil, and simmer ~ 30 -45 minutes.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Fish Spatula – I love this tool for flippin’ fish or breaking up hamburger in a pan.
- Microplane Zester – for finely grating the Parmesan cheese.
- Fine Mesh Strainer – Set of 3 – for straining out the sand from the clam broth.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: ciopinno, fish, Paleo, Whole 30, shellfish, seafood, pescatarian, dairy free, gluten free, low