Shrimp & Chorizo Stew
This soothing shrimp & chorizo stew recipe is packed with savory flavors/herbs & corn, potatoes, and kale. Substitute spinach or arugula if you can’t find or don’t like kale.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish / Stew
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Low Country
- ~1 1/2 Tbsp e.v. olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 lb ground chorizo, casings removed if needed
- 1 Tbsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes w/ juices
- 4 cups water or broth
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/4 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 small bunch kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped – as garnish
- Bring a large pot to medium high heat and add olive oil to lightly coat the pan. Add onions, chorizo, paprika, thyme, oregano, and sea salt. Cook for ~ 6-8 minutes or until sausage is done. Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the bay leaves, tomatoes, water/broth, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered ~ 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender with a fork.
- Add corn and shrimp and more water/broth until desired consistency. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes until shrimp are pink and done. Fold in the kale and cook until wilted (~2 minutes).
- Add sea salt to taste and spice it up with chili pepper flakes if you like. Garnish with chopped parsley. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Shrimp peeler & deveiner – this makes faster work of peeling & deveining. It’s not fancy but this plastic one works better than any out there made of steel or that have big clunky handles.
- Vegetable peeler – serrated and on a swivel for fast potato peelin’.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Low Country, Coastal, Pork, Seafood, Stew, Soup, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Holidays, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Shrimp