Basil Pesto Stuffed Baked Tomatoes
There is nothing like a ripe tomato stuffed & baked with fresh basil pesto, nuts, and cheese. This is a beautiful & colorful addition to any meal. It’s also versatile, you can stuff tomatoes with nearly any leftovers – breadcrumbs, rice, quinoa, etc…
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 tomato halves
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Slice off the stem of the tomato to create a level surface and cut tomato in half. Scoop out seeds and pulp, leaving 1/2″ wall. Dice the pulp and add to a mixing bowl.
- Lightly oil or spray a large shallow baking dish or sheet and place tomato halves (cut side up) in/on it.
- In a bowl mix together: tomato pulp, feta, walnuts, rice, pesto, sea salt, black pepper, and 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese (reserve the rest to sprinkle over the top of the tomatoes).
- Stuff the mixture into the tomatoes. Top each tomato with a sprinkle of the reserved Parmesan. Bake for ~15-20 minutes or until cheese is starting to brown.
- Turn on the broiler for a couple minutes if your cheese ain’t brownin’. Watch it though – the broiler works fast! Add sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
- You can add other ingredients to the mixing bowl if you like: chopped artichokes, sliced olives, capers, quinoa, or any leftovers!
Things In My Kitchen:
Grater / Zester for grating the Parmesan cheese to a super light consistency.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
- Use 1/3 cup of any fresh chopped herb or 2 tsp dried herbs if you don’t want to make pesto and can’t justify spending the money to buy it this go around.
Keywords: Tomatoes, Pesto, Basil Pesto, Stuffed Tomatoes, Vegetarian, Gluten Free