Summer tomatoes, sigh…. nothing much better than ’em. This tomato tart recipe with puff pastry is uber addicting. I got these beautiful local heirloom tomatoes from our local food distribution hub – Grow Food Carolina (GFC). GFC connects local growers/farmers/ producers within 120 miles of Charleston, SC to end consumers through food companies, grocery stores, and restaurants. This tart is perfect for the summer – serve it with a salad and dinner is done.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 puff pastry, read thawing instructions
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup basil, sliced & divided
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lay out a piece of parchment or aluminum foil on a baking sheet.
- Bring a medium pan to medium high heat and add ~ 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil. Add sliced onions and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook ~15-20 minutes, stirring frequently, or until onions are brown and caramelized. Stir in thyme and remove from heat.
- Slice the tomatoes and cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Lay out on a paper towel lined platter and sprinkle with salt.
- Lay the thawed puff pastry on the lined baking sheet and roll out evenly with a rolling pin (sometimes you don’t need to roll it out if it’s already flat). Pinch up the edges to form a small crust. Poke the pastry inside the crust with a fork several times.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese on the pastry. Spread the caramelized onions on the Parmesan, layer the tomatoes next, and sprinkle with goat cheese and remaining Parmesan. Top with 2 Tbsp basil.
- Bake ~ 20-25 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Let cool 5-10 minutes. Garnish with remaining basil and add salt to taste. Salt & pepper to taste. Happy Summer Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- 12 x 17 jelly roll baking sheet – I use this for practically everything that goes in my oven.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Tart, Tomato Tart, Savory Tart, Tomatoes, Cheese, Puff Pastry, Vegetarian, Holidays, Summer, 4th of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day