Asparagus & Tomato Salad
Fresh asparagus, red onions, cherry tomatoes and a dijon mustard & white wine vinaigrette. This side dish recipe is delicious served cold and is a good choice if you are preparing dinner ahead of time as you don’t need to warm it up.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 1 bunch (~1 lb) asparagus, trimmed
- 2 cups (~ 10 oz) cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Toast walnuts on an aluminum lined baking sheet for ~ 5-7 minutes or until fragrant. Walnuts are hard to tell when they’re done, so go by smell. It’s done if it’s fragrant.
- Make the dressing: Combine white wine vinegar, olive oil, mustard, sea salt, & pepper in a jar. Put on the lid and shake like a mad man until combined.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a little salt. Trim and throw away the rough ends of the asparagus, and cut asparagus in half. Place the stem sides in the boiling water for one minute. Add the more tender tips and lightly boil for another minute. Taste it to see if it’s as tender as you like.
- Drain and cool the asparagus with an ice water bath if you’ve got it (this will stop the cooking and also help to retain the bright green color). Otherwise, rinse with cold water.
- Place in bowl and add cherry tomatoes and onions. Gently toss with the dressing. Top with walnuts (use any other nut if you don’t have walnuts). Add sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
TIP: Wanna save some time? Skip toasting the walnuts and eat them raw.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Benriner wide large slicer – I’ve tried a lot of mandolin’s and this is by far my fav.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Side Dish, Salad, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free