Farro Salad w/ Edamame & Pine Nuts
I’m feeling spring coming with the fresh flavors of basil, edamame, lemon, and pine nuts but still honoring a bit of fall & winter with the hearty & earthy farro in this recipe. Garnished with a little tangy feta and served from my favorite bowl inherited from my grandma.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked farro
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (~ 3 lemons)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 16 oz frozen shelled edamame, defrosted
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced finely
- 2 loose cups basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta crumbles – as garnish
- Cook farro according to package instructions. I find that adding more water than needed and draining it off like pasta makes the perfect farro. Cool drained farro and set aside in a large bowl.
- Bring a small pan to medium heat and add the pine nuts to pan. Toast ~ 2-3 minutes or until fragrant and brown. Careful – pine nuts are expensive and burn easy so don’t walk away from the pan! Set aside on a plate.
- In a small bowl mix together lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper to make a dressing.
- When farro is cool add defrosted edamame, red onion, basil, and pine nuts. Toss with the dressing. Garnish with feta crumbles. Add salt & pepper to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Wanna bring your game up a notch? Zest one or two of the lemons before juicing and throw that in the mix too.
- Forgot to defrost the edmame? No problem, just microwave on power level 7 for ~ 2 minutes or until warm.
Things In My Kitchen:
Over the sink Colander: For draining the farro. It only touches the side of the sink and not the bottom. I like that you don’t have to bend over to pour out the contents of a pot.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Farro, Salad, Holidays, Vegetarian