Light, comforting, and refreshing asparagus soup recipe. Leave out the asparagus tip garnish and drink it straight from a mug. What’s the difference in texture of the pureed soup between an Immersion blender and a Vitamix blender ? The blender or vitamix will make a smoother soup consistency, but the immersion blender is easier to clean and less steps.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish / Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 2 lb (2 bunches) asparagus
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (1 large) shallots, minced
- 3/4 cup (1 medium) leek, trimmed & sliced
- 6-8 sprigs thyme
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Mince the shallots. Trim the root end of the leek and cut off the dark green leaves (keep the pale green part of the leek). Cut in half lengthwise and run under water to get rid of any dirt in the layers. Slice leeks.
- Trim the delicate tips and rough stem ends off the asparagus and cut the remaining tender asparagus into 1″ pieces. Set tips aside in a small bowl. Add tough ends and thyme to a medium pot, add broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, cook ~ 20 minutes. Remove stem ends and thyme with slotted spoon and discard.
- Add asparagus tips to broth and blanch (cook) ~ 1 minute or until tender. Remove tips with slotted spoon and place in an ice bath. Drain water once cooled and set tips aside on a paper towel for garnish.
- Bring a medium sized pan to medium high heat and melt butter. Add leeks and shallots and cook ~ 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add mixture to pot of broth and also add remaining uncooked asparagus pieces. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered (stirring occasionally) an additional 25 minutes or until asparagus is very tender.
- Immersion blend or add to a blender ( you may need to do this in batches) and puree until smooth. Add sea salt to taste and garnish with asparagus tips. Happy soup eatin’! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Immersion blender to puree the soup fast.
- Vitamix blender for a smoother consistency than immersion blending.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Asparagus, Whole 30, Paleo, Low Carb, Gluten Free, Soup, Vegetarian