Beef & Bean Chili
Simple and comforting beef and beans slow simmered in diced tomatoes, chili powder, and other spices. This easy chili recipe screams “COMFORT FOOD”! Grab a bowl, add some chips and guacamole and settle in.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Dinner / Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 red pepper, diced
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 2 (15 oz) can kidney beans with juices
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated – optional as garnish
- 1 cup sour cream – optional as garnish
- Bring a large “heavy bottomed” pot to medium high heat and enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add beef and onions. Cook uncovered ~ 7 minutes, stirring, or until meat is nearly done. Add the garlic and peppers and cook ~ 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except cheese and sour cream.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered ~ 30 minutes. Add more chili powder and salt to taste and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Add water at 1/2 cup increments if the chili begins to dry out.
- If you think the chili is too “soupy”, remember that it will thicken as it cools.
- The meat in interchangeable in chili. Try ground chicken or turkey if you want.
Things In My Kitchen:
- 6 quart Dutch Oven – Made in America, solid, affordable, & perfect for searing & braising in the oven or stovetop.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Chili, Beef, Beans, Gluten Free, Comfort Food, Dairy Free