Turkey Kielbasa & Butter Bean Soup
Large beans – that’s where it’s at. You can get them canned or you can cook ’em from scratch. I’ve made this soup recipe before with deer kielbasa from one of my clients whose family hunts. Get creative – any kielbasa will work and any kind of bean works. Add crushed red pepper flakes if you like it spicier.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Polish
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 12 ounces precooked turkey kielbasa; sliced in 1/2″ on the diagonal
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3/4 cup (~ 1 large) celery, diced
- 3/4 cup (~ 1 large) carrots, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 28 ounces canned or cooked large butter beans with juice
- 14.5 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 handfuls kale, chopped
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese, optional for garnish
- Bring a large pot to medium high heat and enough vegetable oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pot. Add sliced Kielbasa and brown until it starts to “curl” a bit and caramelize. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium – low, and add onions, carrots, and celery. Cover and cook ~ 8 minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant (~1-2 minutes). Add reserved kielbasa with any juices, beans with juice, tomatoes, sage, parsley, and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered ~ 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add kale to wilt. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste and garnish with Parmesan. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Salad Spinner – Keep your kale & other greens clean with this gadget.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Kielbasa, Soup, Beans, Turkey, Dairy Free, Gluten Free