Sausage & Kale Ragout
This ragout recipe is versatile. Serve it with or without a grain. Colorful and full of protein and veggies. Ragouts (or ragus – which is how it’s pronounced) are generally slow cooked. This is a fast & easy “go to” meal. Want to go vegetarian? Double the beans and leave out the meat. Throw in more zucchini and kale.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 Tbsp e.v. olive oil
- 1 lb ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 28 ounces cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 20 ounces (~ 2 cups) canned diced tomatoes with juices
- 6 ounces kale (~ 6 cups, 1 large head), roughly chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, grated – optional
- red chili flakes – optional for spiciness
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat, lightly coat the bottom of the pan with oil. Add the sausage and onions and cook uncovered ~ 7-9 minutes or until sausage is done. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant (~ 1-2 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, beans, zucchini, salt and pepper and simmer 5 minutes. Add kale and cook until 2-3 minutes or until wilted.
- Add sea salt, red chili flakes, and Parmesan to taste. Serve as is for a grain/starch free dinner or over pasta or rice. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Don’t drain and rinse the beans if you want a thicker ragout.
- Sear the zucchini first in a little butter until brown on the outside but still a touch soft in the middle. Set aside on a plate and add back to pan when adding the kale. This keeps it crispier and seared.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Salad Spinner – For rinsing and drying the kale.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Ragout, Sausage Ragout, Keto, Gluten Free, Whole 30, Paleo