Cannellini Beans with Kale Pesto
This cannellini bean recipe with kale & almond pesto is light and satisfying. It’s a “go to” dish for health as well as taste and can be served room temperature, cold, or warm. Spice it up with crushed red pepper flakes. Serve as is or over penne pasta, wild rice, or quinoa.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 medium heads of kale, de-stemmed & roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup (~2.5 ounces) sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup (~ 2-3 lemons) fresh lemon juice
- 3 + Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 oz can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups (~ 2 medium) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 Cup water (optional as needed)
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and toast sliced almond 5-7 minutes or until fragrant and beginning to brown.
- Make Pesto: Destem, rinse, and roughly chop kale. Into food processor add: kale, toasted sliced almonds, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes (optional). Pulse until it’s finely chopped. You do not want it pulverized – you should still be able to see pieces of kale.
- Cook it or just combine it all together – this dish can be served cool or warm! Bring a large pan to medium high heat, add olive oil to lightly coat the pan, and add cannellini beans, kale pesto, and tomatoes. Add 1/2 cup water if you want a thinner consistency. Cover & cook ~ 5-7 minutes or until warm.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt to taste. Top with Parmesan cheese. Happy eating! Beckie
TIP: Don’t want to use canned beans? Check out my blog post on dry beans.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Salad Spinner – Remember to clean your kale. Lots of stuff can get hidden in there.
- Zester / Grater – Good for shredding / grating Parmesan finely.
- 8 Cup Food Processor – Affordable workhorse food processor for pulsing the kale.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Beans, Cannellini Beans, Kale, Tomatoes, Can Be Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Pesto, Kale Pesto, Side Dish, Can Be Vegan, Almonds