Classic Caesar Salad
My vegetarian version of Caesar Salad with capers instead of anchovies gives it the umami savory taste. For a fun addition to top this salad, add Fried Green Tomatoes with Roasted Eggplant between the layers. Add chicken or shrimp to make this a main dish.
Check out Eat Simple Food’s video showing you how to make Caesar Salad dressing from scratch.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Salad
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Ingredient List Salad:
- 2 small heads Romaine lettuce, torn apart or chopped
- 1 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp capers or anchovies, minced
- 1 egg yolk, mixed
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 – 2/3 cup safflower or vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- sea salt
- black pepper
Ingredient List Croutons:
- 1/2 loaf baguette or old bread, cubed or torn into 1″
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Make Croutons: Toss bread with olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt and black pepper. Bake on an aluminum lined sheet for ~ 7-8 minutes or until crunchy but not hard.
- Make Salad Dressing: Mince garlic, add a little salt to the minced garlic and smash down with edge of knife to make a paste (the salt makes it easier to get into paste form). Add minced capers, chop, and more salt and smash again to form a paste. See the video above.
- In bowl add egg yolk, lemon, and mustard. Stir and then slowly whisk in the safflower oil until mayonnaise is thick. Keep adding oil if mayo is not thick. Add in caper/garlic paste, black pepper, and heavy whipping cream. Caesar dressing has a lot of black pepper. Don’t be shy – add more if your tastebuds want it!
- Toss romaine with desired amount of dressing and add Parmesan cheese and croutons. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Reserve the egg white and add it to your scrambled eggs the next day.
- Use water or milk instead of half and half if you are trying to save on calories.
- We throw our bread in the freezer if it’s gonna go bad. Defrost later and make panko bread crumbs or use for croutons.
Keywords: Caesar Salad, Vegetarian, Salad, Starter Salad
IngredientsNo ingredients required for this recipe.
DirectionsNo directions required for this recipe.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Mac Knife 8″ Chef’s knife – my go to chef’s knife when I’m personal cheffing. A colleague gave it to me as a present and I count it as a special knife for a number of reasons.
- Victorinox 8 Inch Chef’s knife – a more affordable chef’s knife that I also carry in my knife roll and have at home, as well as have used in several commercial kitchens.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.