Wild Rice & Veggie Stuffed Patty Pan Squash
These ‘lil local patty pan squash are fun, adorable, and tasty. This recipe is versatile as you can stuff them with any leftovers that you may have. In this case – wild rice with sautéed carrots, celery, red peppers, onions, and garlic.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 3
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: International
- 3 patty pan squash, halved & cored
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 red pepper, finely diced
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild rice
- 3 Tbsp parsley, chopped – as garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly oil a baking pan.
- Slice off a wee bit of the stem and bloom end of the squash to create a level surface and cut in half. The only purpose of this slice is to create a level surface to work with so don’t take off too much. Scoop out seeds and pulp, leaving 3/4″ wall.
- Lightly oil the inside and sides of squash. Bake in oven, cut side down, ~ 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip over, and get ready to fill it up.
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat & add 1 1/2 Tbsp of oil. When hot add: onion, carrot, celery, pepper, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Cook ~ 7-9 minutes or until translucent and soft. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from heat and stir in cooked wild rice. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Generously fill up the squash with the mixture. Bake uncovered ~ 15 minutes or until squash is tender. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Wanna bring your game up? Dice the squash seeds/pulp and pan fry with the onions & other veggies.
- Wanna add some cheese? Knock it out – Parmesan would taste fantastic.
Things In My Kitchen:
Teak cutting board – My go-to board. It’s solid, holds juice run-off, and comes from sustainably managed plantations. It also has a stellar recommendation from Cook’s Illustrated.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Patty Pan, Squash, Stuffed Squash, Vegan, vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free