Indian Curry Chicken
This flavorful chicken curry recipe is fairly easy to make. There are a lot of spices listed but if all else fails, just make sure you at least have the curry, cumin, and hopefully coriander. The cayenne takes the heat level up a notch. Want dairy free? Use coconut milk instead.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6
- Category: Dinner / Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken (breasts or thighs), diced
- 1 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 15 oz can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup cream (prefer whippin’)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped & divided
- 6 cups cooked rice
- Bring a large pot to medium high heat and add the oil. When hot add the onions and cook 3-5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in all spices, salt, and 2 Tbsp cilantro and cook ~1-2 minutes. Add water, tomatoes, and cream. Bring to a boil covered, reduce heat and simmer uncovered ~ 20 minutes. Add chicken and cook and an additional 5-8 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Squeeze in lemon and serve chicken curry over rice and garnish with remaining cilantro. Add salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
TIP: Tryin’ to up your veggies? Add some frozen peas to the mixture when you add the chicken.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Microplane grater for grating / mincing the ginger.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Curry, Chicken Curry, Rice, Comfort Food, Gluten Free