Tofu Coconut Curry
This Thai inspired coconut curry dish always amazes me. Another favorite comfort food recipe and good in every season. The recipe is versatile and can be cooked with chicken, shrimp, beef, tofu, or extra veggies. Popular brands of curry paste are Maesri, Mae Ploy, and Thai Kitchen. Use any veggie that you have around: broccoli, carrots, peppers, peas, etc…
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Thai
- 1lb extra firm tofu, cubed
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce, divided
- ~1 1/2 Tbsp Peanut oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, torn in half
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 + Tbsp green curry paste
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 25 ounces (~ 3 cups) coconut milk
- 2 cups of chopped veggies
- 1/3 cup Cilantro; chopped – as garnish
- 1/2 cup green onions or chives; sliced – as garnish
- 5 cups cooked rice
- Marinate cubed tofu with 2 Tbsp soy sauce for ~30 minutes.
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat and add enough peanut oil to lightly coat the bottom of a pan. Throw in the marinated tofu and cook ~ 3 minutes. Add onions and cook ~ 3-4 minutes. Add lime leaves, sugar, salt, green curry paste, lime juice, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, tomatoes, vegetable broth, coconut milk, veggies of choice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered ~ 15 minutes. Taste the curry and add sea salt and more green curry paste to taste.
- Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro and green onions. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Tearing up the kaffir lime leaves releases more flavor.
- Don’t have kaffir lime leaves? Zest the lime instead (before juicing!).
- Want crunchier tofu? Dust the cubed tofu in cornstarch before frying.
- Don’t have fresh tomatoes on hand? Use ~ 1 cup (10 ounces) canned/diced tomatoes with juices.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Thai, Curry, Coconut, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Comfort Food