Mashed Carrots & Buttery Leeks
This colorful & earthy carrot mash recipe looks so dang pretty and is also comforting and buttery. Add a little cream if you want it richer but I prefer the simpler taste of the carrots with just the butter and leeks. This dish can be made with any pot or pan but I received this special USA made/Charleston, SC handcrafted cast iron pan as a Christmas gift from a family that I cook for that are relatives of the founder. The company is called Smithey Ironware. Check them out!
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: 37350
- 3 lb carrots, peeled
- 1 large leek
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Trim the root end of the leek and cut off the dark green leaves (keep the pale green part of the leek). Cut in half lengthwise and run under water to get rid of any dirt in the layers. Slice leeks.
- Trim the stem end off the carrots and peel. Cut in ~ 1/2″ chunks and set aside.
- Bring a pot/pan to medium heat and add 1 1/2 Tbsp butter. Add sliced leeks, cover, and cook ~ 4 minutes (stirring occasionally), or until leeks are starting to get translucent but still retain some color. Reduce heat if butter or leeks starts to brown. Remove leeks and set aside.
- In same pan, add carrots and enough water to barely cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer ~ 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender. Drain water and return carrots to pan. Add remaining 2 1/2 Tbsp butter to melt and mash carrots with a potato masher. Add more butter if desired and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with cooked leeks. Happy Eating! Beckie
Save the dark green leaves of the leek and make vegetable stock later.
Things In My Kitchen:
Potato Masher – Simple, Affordable, and Mashes Food.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Mashed Carrots, Carrots, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Holidays, Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving