This is a “quick pickle” okra recipe – which means you have to refrigerate the jars. Eat within 4 weeks after refrigerating. Want to up your game and make them non-perishable for shelf storage? Sterilize the jars in a boiling water bath (1″ above the jar). Remove from water bath & allow to cool on the counter. Leaving okra whole keeps it “fresher” and not “slimy”, which turns so many folks off texturally. Eat as a snack or throw in your favorite Bloody Mary.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 1 Quart Jar
- Category: Condiment
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 lb okra
- 2 red fresno chili peppers
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 dill sprigs or 1 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Sterilize jar(s) & lid(s) for 10 minutes in boiling water or very hot dishwasher. You can skip this step if you will be refrigerating and eating within ~ 4 weeks.
- Add okra, chili peppers, garlic, dill, mustard seeds, & crushed red pepper to quart size glass jar or divide evenly among 2 pint size glass jars.
- Bring a small pot with vinegar, water, and salt to a rolling boil and stir. Remove from heat and let cool ~ 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into jar(s) (careful it’s hot!), leaving ~ 1/4″ at top. Seal jars and let sit at room temperature ~ 1 hour and then place in refrigerator. Wait at least a week before eating – they will taste the best 3-4 weeks after pickling. Good for ~4 weeks in the refrigerator. Happy eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- 9 piece canning kit – This is for pint size jars only – makes quick use of sterilizing for canning if you want to make your pickling shelf stable and not have to refrigerate.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Okra, Pickled, Pickled Okra, Garnish, Snack, Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free, Paleo, Keto, Low Carb, Whole 30