Potato & Egg Salad
Egg salad, potato salad, tuna salad. Count me in- I love these kinds of salad / side recipes. I could take this to the beach all summer and be super happy….
Homemade Mayo is one of my favorite things to whip up by hand. Some people use a food processor or blender but I like to see and feel the dressing get thicker as it’s made. This also enables you to determine when it’s the right thickness. It’s also very simple to make once you get the hang of it. Watch my video below to learn how to make mayo.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 7
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lb potatoes, peeled & diced
- 3 eggs, cooked & diced
- 1/3 cup red onions, finely diced
- 2/3 cup celery, diced
- 2/3 cup dill pickles, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill or parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Place potatoes in a large pot. Cover with 1″ of cool water and add 1/2 tsp of sea salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered ~ 10-15 minutes or until a fork easily pierces into them. Remove from heat, drain, and cool by running under cool water or by putting in ice water and draining. Basically, you need to cool these guys down before making the salad.
- Add 3 eggs to cool water, start a timer for 17 minutes, bring to a boil covered, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered. The 17 minutes starts once the eggs go in cold water (not when they start to boil). Put the eggs in an ice bath to stop cooking and to cool completely. The ice bath should also make the eggs easier to peel. FYI – eggs are easier to peel if they are older.
- Mix all ingredients, including 1/4 tsp salt, together in a mixing bowl. Add more sea salt to taste and more mayo if you want it creamer. Serve it up. Be happy. Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- 3 quart mixing bowl – I love these flat bottomed & wide brimmed mixing bowls for combining ingredients with veggies for roasting and for making salads. The 2 quart and 3 quart are my “go to” bowls for almost everything.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Potato Salad, Egg Salad, Eggs, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Holidays, BBQ, 4th Of July, Labor Day, Memorial Day