Roasted Sweet Potatoes & Chickpeas
This vegan main dish recipe has roasted sweet potatoes, chickpeas, and cilantro simmered in Indian spices and coconut milk, is served over wild rice and topped with toasted coconut flakes. Hearty and rich but light and healthy at the same time.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: Indian
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium (~1 1/4 lb) sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes – optional for spice
- 2 cups (15 oz can) coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, as garnish
- 2/3 cup coconut flakes, toasted
- 5 cups cooked wild rice
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and evenly spread out coconut flakes. Cook ~ 3-4 minutes, watching carefully, until lightly browned. Remove flakes to a plate.
- Increase heat to 425F. Toss cubed sweet potatoes with 2 Tbsp olive oil and layer evenly on baking sheet. Bake ~ 15-20 minutes (flipping once) or until beginning to brown and get soft. They don’t need to be completely soft as you will also be cooking them on the stovetop.
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat and enough olive oil to lightly cover the pan. When oil is hot, add onions. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook ~ 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook ~ 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add salt and spices and stir. Add roasted sweet potatoes, coconut milk, vegetable broth, and chopped cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered ~ 15 minutes.
- Add salt and chili pepper flakes to taste. Serve over wild rice and garnish with coconut flakes and cilantro leaves. Happy Eating! Beckie
TIP: Don’t want to turn the oven on or low on time? Skip toasting the coconut flakes and cook the sweet potatoes for longer on the stovetop instead. You’ll be missing out on a “toastier” meal but sometimes we all need to skip steps and get dinner on the table.
Things In My Kitchen:
- 13 x 18 “Jellyroll” Sheet Pan – perfect for roasting the sweet potatoes
- Pastry Scraper – love this for scooping up ingredients and transferring to baking sheets, bowls, or pans.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Beans, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian, Rice