Spicy Black Pepper Shiitake Mushrooms
This spicy shiitake mushroom recipe will add a little to a lot of heat to your mouth from the black pepper and balance it with a little sweet from the balsamic vinegar. These local (to Charleston, SC), hearty, earthy, & rich mushrooms don’t release a lot of water. Some cooks cut the stems off completely. I cut the tougher bulb end off but keep most of the chewy stem. Eat these as a side or mix in with some pasta, rice, or other grain.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 8 stems rosemary, divided
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp fresh black pepper
- Clean the mushrooms with a paper towel if needed.
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat. When hot add the olive oil. Place 5 of the rosemary springs in the olive oil and let it lightly sizzle for ~ 30 seconds.
- Add sliced mushrooms and salt. Cook ~ 3-5 minutes or until mushrooms have lost their water. The pan is going to be hot. Add the vinegar and expect some sizzle & steam. Add the black pepper – start with 1/4 tsp and taste. If you like it hotter, add additional black pepper.
- Cook ~ 1 minute or until all the balsamic has soaked in or evaporated. Remove the old rosemary stems & garnish with fresh rosemary sprigs so your dish looks pretty. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Fresh Pepper Mill / Grinder – Any pepper mill will do. I have a Vic Firth and this company bought them. Just get one where you can adjust the coarseness of the grind. Fresh ground black pepper kicks your game up a notch.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Shiitake, Mushrooms, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Low Carb, Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Keto, Whole 30