These smashed potatoes are addicting. Top with sour cream and / or rosemary and chives as a crisp on the outside, yet tender on the inside, potato side dish recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: International
- 2 lb potatoes (~12 small to medium)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream (optional as garnish)
- 1/3 cup chives, sliced thin (optional as garnish)
- Rinse & scrub potatoes and add to large pot. Add enough cold water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch. Place pot on burner, turn on high heat, add ~1 Tbsp salt to the pot, and bring to a boil covered. After the water is boiling, remove lid, and simmer ~ 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Preheat oven to 450F. Transfer potatoes to an aluminum lined baking sheet and let cool ~ 30 minutes. Before smashing soak up any excess liquid on the potato or sheet with a paper towel. Smash the soft potatoes with a spatula or pastry / bench scraper.
- Drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil and add desired amount of salt & pepper. Roast ~ 30 minutes or until potatoes crisp up on top.
- Garnish with sour cream & chives and add salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Place the sheet (or transfer to a large plate) of boiled potatoes in the fridge or freezer if you have room. This will speed up the cooling process so you can smash them without completely breaking the potatoes apart.
- Do you know your oven? 450 is hot but a lot of stoves have a hard time cooking at that temperature. Check the potatoes every once in a while. They may need more or less time to cook based on how well your oven works.
Things In My Kitchen:
- 13 x 18 “jellyroll” baking sheets for roasting smashed potatoes.
- Pastry scraper for smashing the potatoes lightly.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Potatoes, Smashed Potatoes, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Holidays