13 Bean Soup
This is a perfect soup recipe for when you don’t have a lot of ingredients hanging around the house, plus it’s uber tasty, filling, and satisfying. I like to soak the beans over night to reduce cooking time to ~ 1 1/2 hours but the recipe below is for just throwing straight on the stovetop. This would also work fantastic in a crockpot on low for ~ 8 hours or in the instant-pot but I prefer just using a sturdy pot on the stovetop.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 3 Hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main / Soup
- Method: Stovetop / Crockpot / InstantPot
- Cuisine: International
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups dried mixed beans or 13 bean soup mix
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 8 1/2 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped – optional as garnish
- Bring a stockpot to medium high heat and add the oil. When hot, add the onions and the salt (the salt helps break down the onion quicker). Cook ~ 7 minutes or until translucent (turn down the heat if they start to brown).
- Stir in the chili powder and garlic
- Add beans, tomato sauce, and broth.
- Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer ~ 3 hours or until beans are soft and tender.
- Add salt to taste and garnish with fresh oregano. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Don’t have broth? Use water and add salt to taste.
- Wanna add a little more umami? Add some shredded Parmesan cheese as a garnish.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Sturdy Cast Iron Stock Pot – 6 quart. You’ll never have to buy another again.
- Better Than Bouillon – I’m trying to cut down on the weight of my groceries and also being conscious of the amount of waste, either in the trash or recycling. I love this easy organic soup base.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Soup, 13 Bean Soup, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Comfort Food, Dairy Free