Coconut Red Lentils & Rice
This coconut & red lentils served over basmati rice is one of my favorite comfort food recipes. It’s easy to make, easy to digest, and tastes buttery & nourishing. Add in a handful or spinach or kale if you want to up your greens. Garnish it with red chili pepper flakes if you don’t have any fresh fresno red peppers.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- 2 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 cups (~13 oz) red lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 15 ounces full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups cooked rice
- 2 small red fresno or thai chilis, sliced (optional)
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat and add olive oil. When hot, reduce heat to medium and onions. Cover & cook ~ 4-6 minutes or until translucent.
- Add lentils, bay leaves, coconut milk, and vegetable broth. Stir it occasionally so the lentils don’t clump. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook ~ 25-30 minutes or until it has lost most of it’s shape and sorta looks pureed together.
- Serve over rice, add salt to taste, and garnish with sliced chilis. Happy Eating! Beckie
This dish will thicken over time. Add a little broth or water if you want a thinner consistency.
Things In My Kitchen:
- 13″ serving spoon– I don’t like fancy stuff for cooking. These are solid lasting spoons, approved for commercial kitchen use, and are affordable.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Lentils, Red Lentils, Rice, Coconut, Vegan, Vegetarian, Comfort Food, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Beans