Asian Inspired Napa Cabbage Salad
This is a crisp, light, and refreshing napa cabbage slaw / salad recipe with a fish sauce, lime juice, and tamari based dressing and is garnished with cilantro, mint, and roasted chopped peanuts. Don’t like fish sauce? Swap out for more soy sauce but unless you are a vegetarian, give the fish sauce a try! Want to make a main dish? Add some cooked protein – thinly sliced beef, chicken, slow cooked pork or baked tofu.
- Prep Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 35 Minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: No Cooking Involved
- Cuisine: Asian
Ingredient List Salad:
- 1 medium napa cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, finely sliced ~ 2″ long
- 2 celery stalks, finely sliced ~ 2″ long
- 1 medium daikon, finely sliced ~ 2″ long
- 1 small bunch green onion, smashed & finely sliced ~ 2″ long
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped – as garnish
- 1/2 cup mint, roughly chopped – as garnish
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped – as garnish
Ingredient List Dressing:
- 1/4 cup (~2 limes) fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 shishito pepper, sliced thin
- Make salad: Trim the onions and cut into 2″ long pieces. Carefully smash the onions with the side of your knife. Slice lengthwise into four pieces. Combine sliced cabbage, red pepper, carrots, celery, daikon, and green onions in a large bowl.
- Make dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake vigorously. Toss the salad with desired amount of dressing and plate. Top with cilantro, mint, and peanuts. Happy Eating! Beckie
Mint oxidizes and turns dark fast. Substitute parsley or celery leaves if you want to make this ahead of time.
Like your veggies super thin? Use a mandolin!
Shishito peppers are generally NOT spicy. Substitute jalapeno if you want to up the spice level.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Microplane Zester – for grating the ginger super fine
- Mandolin – My fav. is Benriner wide Mandolin. Watch those fingers!
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Asian, Salad, Peanuts, Cabbage, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Carb, Whole 30