Pan Seared Quail
This easy pan fried quail recipe will impress your friends & family. Fresh quail is difficult to find, but can generally be ordered through a specialty butcher or found in the frozen section of grocery stores. Quail is a very small game bird that tastes similar to chicken. Most quail on the market are raised in special game bird farms in the U.S. Quail is versatile, like chicken, and you can stuff the small cavity with cooked sausages or vegetables and / or make a pan sauce to go along with it. Here’s a basic recipe to get started.
This blog post is sponsored by Smithey Ironware who makes this gorgeous and tough cast iron skillet. It’s made in the U.S. and handcrafted in my home-town of Charleston, SC. Smithey is like a regular cast iron pan but it takes it up another notch and finishes & polishes the cast iron for a smooth non stick surface that is easy to cook on and easy to clean. Smithey uses a sturdy gauge of cast iron. This means that it will retain & emit heat in a way that most cookware will not.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 (2 each)
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: International
- 8 (~4.5oz each) quail
- 1 Tbsp safflower or vegetable oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F (roast if you have that option).
- Salt & pepper the quail. Truss (tie together) the legs to keep it presentable and to cook more evenly.
- Preheat skillet to high heat and add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. When hot, add the birds breast side down. Sear ~ 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, flip and place in oven. Cook ~10 minutes or until internal temperature of the quail reaches 165F.
- Add salt to taste and serve with Roasted Brussels Sprouts. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Don’t want to tie the legs together? Skip it – the bird will still cook!
- Want the breast a little darker? Broil the last couple minutes (watch carefully!) in the oven.
Keywords: Quail, Wild Game, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Cast Iron Cooking, Keto, Low Carb, Paleo, Whole 30