Fresh Pea, Mint & Cumin Soup
This refreshing pea soup recipe is made with frozen peas but can also be made with fresh shelled peas if you want to put in the work. It’s a light dish that is also fast to make. Serve warm or cold. Don’t like cumin? Leave it out or start with 1/4 tsp. Like mint, but not too much? Start out with just a little and add to taste.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 1 small leek (~ 3/4 cup), trimmed & sliced
- 1 medium shallot (~ 1/2 cup), diced
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb ( ~ 4 cups) frozen peas, 1/4 cup reserved for garnish
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed mint leaves, a couple leaves reserved as garnish
- Mince the shallots. Trim the root end of the leek and cut off the dark green leaves (keep the pale green part of the leek). Cut in half lengthwise and run under water to get rid of any dirt in the layers. Slice leeks.
- Bring a medium sized pot to medium high heat and melt butter. Add leeks and shallots and cook ~ 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add broth, cumin, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover & simmer 10 minutes. Add peas and cook an additional 3 minutes or until warm. Remove from heat and add mint.
- Transfer (careful, it’s hot!) to a blender (you may need to do this in batches if you’re blender isn’t big enough) or immersion blend it. Blend for 1-2 minutes or until very smooth.
- Serve and garnish with a mint leaf or two and a couple peas per bowl. Add salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
- You want the leeks/shallots translucent and not brown. If they start to brown, remove from and/or reduce heat.
- Forgot to defrost the peas? No problem- add them frozen and let them cook another couple minutes.
Things In my kitchen:
- Immersion blender – for fast blend and hardly any clean up.
- Blender – for smoother blend than an immersion blender.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Peas, Fast Dinners, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Low Carb, Keto