Potato & Leek Soup
This rich and creamy potato & leek soup recipe takes me back to one my mom used to make that was chunkier and had loads of pepper. It would practically cure a cold. I love the lightness of the leeks combined with the starchiness of the potatoes and the richness of the cream. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 leeks (~ 4 cups), white & light green parts, sliced
- 2 lb yukon gold potatoes, peeled & roughly chunked
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves only
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- fresh black pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley or sliced chives, as garnish
- Bring a large pot to medium high heat and melt the butter. Add leeks, cover pot, reduce heat if sizzlin, and cook ~ 7-9 minutes or until leeks are soft and translucent (don’t brown them).
- Add potatoes, broth, bay leaf, thyme, and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer ~ 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove bay leaf, remove from heat, add cream and blend (immersion blender or reg. blender in batches). Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with chives or parsley. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Like your soup chunkier? Take out a cup or two, blend it, and add back to the pot to help thicken it up.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Immersion Blender – This is a super fast way to blend straight in the pot with minimal clean up.
- Vitamix – I love this blender but it’s quite pricey, so any blender will do! Stand alone blenders make for a smoother puree than immersion blenders.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Potatoes, Leeks, Soup, Gluten Free,