Crockpot Pork Carnitas
This crock-pot recipe is easy, affordable, and mouth watering. No food processor for the Chipotle Chili’s in Adobo sauce ? Substitute 2 tsp dried chipotle powder. Pork shoulder can be referred to as either “Boston Butt” or “Picnic”. Boston Butt is the top part of the shoulder and picnic is the bottom part of the shoulder. Both can be used interchangeably in a pork shoulder recipe. This dish is delicious with tacos on it’s own, or with a corn & tomato salad.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Total Time: 25 Minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Crockpot / Instapot / Braised
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 3 lb boneless pork shoulder
- 2 tsp ground chipotle chili
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped – as garnish
- 12 corn tortillas
- Place pork, chipotle, bay leaves, oregano, cumin, garlic, onions, lime juice, water, sea salt, and black pepper in crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove pork from the crock-pot and strain. Let cool slightly before pulling meat of bone with a fork. You may need to chop up the pork with a knife if it’s not falling apart or if you take it out before 8 hours. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Add warm tortillas to make tacos. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Don’t have a crockpot? Simmer the ingredients in a stockpot on the oven ~ 1 1/2 -2 hours and break apart with a fork.
- Want to take it up a notch? Roast (450F) the strained & shredded pork on a pan for ~ 10-15 minutes or until crispy.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Crock-pot – It’s 6 quarts, affordable, and programmable. Plus it comes with another baby crockpot.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Carnitas, Pork Carnitas, Tacos, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Whole 30, Paleo, Keto, Comfort Foods