Fricase de Pollo – Cuban Style Chicken Stew
Fricase de Pollo is a Cuban style chicken stew recipe that has red peppers, potatoes, green olives, and is cooked in a tomato and spice based sauce. One pot comfort food. Don’t want to spend the time searing and braising? Easy enough – throw it all in a crock-pot and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Category: Dinner / Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 2 1/2 lbs (~10) chicken thighs, boneless & skinless
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lb fingerling potato
- 5 ounces (drained) green olive w/ pimento, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp oregano flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Remove any excess fat from the thighs (no need to be neurotic – just a little fat off the sides). Salt and pepper the chicken.
- Bring a large pot to medium high heat and sear the chicken in batches ~ (4 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other). You may need to do this in batches as the pan will not be large enough. Set chicken aside on a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions and pepper. Cook ~ 5 minutes or until veggies are soft. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add green olives, potatoes, all spices, tomato sauce, and broth. Cook covered ~ 15 minutes. Add chicken and any juices. Cover and cook ~ 30 minutes or until potatoes are done, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Crock-pot for when you don’t want to mess with searing and steps.
- 6 quart dutch oven for when you want to take the time to sear and reduce the sauce.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Fricase, Pollo, Chicken, Spanish Chicken, Gluten Free, Comfort Foods, Dairy Free