My mamma’s Pork Green Chile
This is a recipe for my mom’s pork green chile. It’s total comfort food for me and easy to make. It get’s better a couple days after it cooks, freezes well, and tastes amazing the next day for breakfast with an egg or as a topping over a breakfast burrito. My mom uses canned whole green chiles (preferably Hatch, which she than diced), but you can also roast your own.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish / Stew
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 1 1/2 lb pork chop or loin; cubed & lightly salted and peppered- bones reserved if applicable
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 lb canned roasted green chiles, diced
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp jalapeno, minced
- 5 + cups chicken broth
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 tortillas – flour or corn
- cheddar cheese – (optional – as garnish)
- sour cream – (optional – as garnish)
- Bring a large pot to medium high heat and add oil to lightly coat the bottom. Add pork and onion and cook ~ 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (~ 1-2 minutes). Add chiles, tomatoes, salt, oregano, jalapeno, pork bones if applicable, and chicken broth. Add more broth or water if it’s too thick for your taste.
- Cover, Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for ~ 30 minutes.
- Mix 3 Tbsp cornstarch with 1/3 cup of cold water and add to simmering pot. The cornstarch will thicken it up. Remove from heat and sit for 15 minutes covered.
- Warm up tortillas on both sides (1 at a time) in a medium high pan until they are warm, soft, and pliable.
- Serve chile with warm tortillas, cheese, sour cream and add sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Use whole green chiles if using canned, and then dice. Already diced canned green chiles have less flavor.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Teak Cutting Board– 16 x 12 x .5 Sustainably harvested, easy on knives, got the juice grooves, and pretty.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Pork, Green Chili, Soup, Dinner, Dairy Free