Black Bean Soup
This black bean soup recipe is filling and nourishing. This is an easy dinner that can be fixed up with chips and salsa and lots of fun & various garnishes. Take it to the next level and add fresh baked tortilla strips. It’s made with canned beans but you can also make with dry beans. The equivalent in dry beans would be 12 ounces pre cook weight.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 1 1/2 Tbsp e.v. olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 28 ounces canned black beans with juices
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch black pepper
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lime, sliced (garnish)
- 1 avocado, diced (garnish)
- Bring a large pot to medium high heat and add olive oil and onions. Reduce heat, stir, and cook covered ~ 10 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add black beans, cumin, salt, black pepper, and broth.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer covered ~ 25-30 minutes. Immersion blend. This makes a creamy soup. If you want a chunkier soup, then just immersion blend 1/2 of the soup. Add salt to taste and/or more water or broth if you want a thinner consistency.
- Garnish with diced avocado and a squeeze of lime. Happy Eating! Beckie
- You can also blend the soup in a blender or food processor if you don’t have an immersion blender.
- Use water with a little extra salt if you’re in a pinch and don’t have broth.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Black Beans, Beans, Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Gluten Free