Southwest Eggrolls w/ Guacamole
Fried southwest eggrolls – who can resist? I cook this recipe for friends, family, and clients and have never met anyone that didn’t like it. You can use a lot of different ingredients in the stuffing: beans, cheese, rice, corn, vegetables…. Can’t find poblano peppers? Use red peppers or canned and drained green chilis.
- Prep Time: 50 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 20 (2 each)
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Spanish
Ingredient List Egg Rolls
- 1 package (~21) eggroll wrappers
- 1/2 cup onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded & diced
- 2 medium carrot, diced
- 10 radishes, diced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- ~ 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
Ingredient List Guacamole
- 2 avocado, pitted & peeled
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Make filling: Bring a large pan to medium high heat and add a little oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When hot, add onions, peppers, carrots, and radishes. Reduce heat to medium and cook covered ~ 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 1- 2 minutes or until fragrant. Transfer back to bowl and add salt, cumin, sour cream, and cilantro.
- Make Guacamole: Add all guacamole ingredients to a medium bowl and mash together. Add salt and lime juice to taste.
- Assemble: Lay out one package of egg roll wrappers in a diamond (vs. square) shape. It’s faster if you have room to lay out 6-7 wrappers at a time (assembly production style) instead of making them one by one. The egg roll wrappers tend to dry out fast so use a damp paper towel to keep the main package moist while you are wrapping up the ones you are working with.
- Add a couple tablespoons of the filling to each end of the diamond shape diagonal. Wrap it up (instructions are on the Nasoya wrappers on how to wrap), by flipping the edges in and rolling up. Seal the edge at the end lightly with water.
- Bring a large heavy skillet (cast iron is preferred) to medium high heat and add 1″ of vegetable oil. Lightly lay the chiles (seam side down) in the oil when it begins to sizzle. You’ll want a splatter guardfor any oil popping up. Reduce the heat so that it is frying and bubbling lightly and cooking the wrapper all the way through while lightly browning the outside. Flip as needed every 1-2 minutes to brown all sides.
- If the oil is popping and freaking you out then you need to turn the heat down.
- Serve egg rolls with guacamole and Beans and Rice or just on it’s own. Let them cool down – they are hot as hell. Lick your lips and fingers and dig in. So good! Beckie
- If you are looking for a healthier option, you can always bake at 350F on a lined and oiled pan for ~ 15-17 minutes or until brown, flipping egg rolls once.
- This recipe is versatile. Don’t have poblano or carrots? Substitute black beans and get some more protein in your diet.
Things In My Kitchen:
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Southwest Eggrolls, Eggrolls, Guacamole, Beans, Comfort Food, Fried Food