Roasted Eggplant & Peppers w Polenta
Roasted Eggplant tastes like candy to me. Add some roasted peppers and tomatoes, nuts, feta, and basil and serve this recipe over polenta or grits for a beautiful, vibrant, & tasty vegetarian meal.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: International
Ingredient List Polenta:
- 1 cup polenta or grits
- 4 cups water, milk, or cream, or any combo
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
Ingredient List Toppings:
- 2 medium Japanese eggplants, sliced
- 5 Tbsp e.v. olive oil, divided
- 2 medium red peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 Tbsp rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup basil, chiffonade (as garnish)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta (optional as garnish)
- Pre-heat oven to 425F.
- Make Polenta/Grits: In a pot combine: water, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits and reduce heat. Cook ~ 25-45 minutes or according to package instructions. Cooking polenta/grits is sticky business- don’t forget to stir often or it will clump & burn like cream of wheat. Add more water or milk if it starts to thicken up (it’s rather notorious for that). Really don’t care about fat/calories? Add some butter or cheese to the mix.
- Slice or dice 2 medium eggplant. Toss with 3 Tbsp e.v. olive oil (eggplant LOVES oil so don’t be shy), 1/4 tsp sea salt, pinch pepper, 1 1/2 tsp chopped rosemary . Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and give it a light layer of e.v. olive oil love. Throw the mixture on in a single layer and roast for ~20-25 minutes or until eggplant is soft and beginning to caramelize, turning once.
- Slice red peppers and toss with ~2 Tbsp e.v. olive oil, pinch sea salt, pinch pepper & 1 1/2 tsp chopped rosemary. Throw the mixture on in a single layer and roast for ~8-12 minutes or until red pepper is soft and beginning to caramelize. When done toss with eggplant.
- Spoon out polenta onto a big serving dish. Add the eggplant and pepper on top of it. Top with walnuts, tomatoes, feta, and basil. Add sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! -Beckie
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Eggplant, Roasted, Polenta, Grits, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten Free