Beef & Sausage Lasagna
Lasagna = love. One of my clients thinks I put crack in this lasagna recipe. Use precooked noodles to make your life easier. Lasagna makes a lot – freeze leftovers for later. Vegetarians leave out the meat and add 2lb of sliced cooked portobello, shitake, crimini, or button mushrooms.
- Prep Time: 25 Minutes
- Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Yield: 8
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- ~1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 lb ground italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 56 ounces can of crushed tomatoes with basil
- 12 pre-cooked lasagna noodles
- sea salt
- 20 oz. ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 12 oz Mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat, add vegetable oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan. Add beef, sausage, and onions. Cook ~ 8-10 minutes or until meat is cooked through and broken apart. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered ~ 30 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Mix together ricotta cheese and egg.
Get ready to put it together:
- Spread a light layer of meat sauce (~2 cups) in the bottom of a ~9×12 baking dish and add:
- 4 noodles
- 1/2 of Ricotta Mixture
- 1/3 of Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/3 of Parmesan Cheese
- add another 2 cups of meat sauce. Repeat.
- You will end this with a layer of noodles, sauce, mozzarella, and Parmesan (no Ricotta in the final layer). Tuck in any noodles on the side into the pan and sauce.
- Cover with lid or lightly spray oil on a piece of aluminum foil (this prevents the cheese from sticking). Bake covered (try not to let the foil touch the cheese) for ~20 minutes covered. Remove lid or foil and bake another 20 minutes or until cheese is browned. If cheese is not browned, you can put on the broiler for 2-3 minutes but be careful not to burn the top. Let rest 20 minutes before serving. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Baking Dish – Pretty color, affordable price, good material, size & depth for lasagna.
- 9 x 13 Covered Baking Dish – Upgraded baking dish with handles & lid.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Lasagna, Comfort Food, Sausage, Beef, Noodles, Pasta, Cheese