Sage Sausage Meatballs, Puttanesca, Creamy Polenta
This recipe includes savory sausage & sage meatballs baked and simmered in a puttanesca tomato based sauce and served over creamy polenta. YUM! Trying to go gluten free? Omit the breadcrumbs or substitute instant oatmeal that has been food processed into flour.
- Prep Time: 35 Minutes
- Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: Italian
Ingredient List Meatballs:
- 1 1/2 lb ground mild or hot Italian Sausage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped
Ingredient List Sauce & Grits:
- 2 Tbsp e.v. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp capers, drained
- 3/4 cup canned/drained artichokes, diced
- 1/3 cup pepperoncini, diced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ~28 ounces tomato or pasta sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced chives
- 1 cup polenta or grits
- 3 Tbsp fresh sage, chopped – as garnish
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated – as garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Make Meatballs: In a large bowl, mix sausage, salt, pepper, eggs, bread crumbs, and 3 Tbsp sage (reserve rest of sage as garnish). Form 1 1/2″ meatballs. Bake on aluminum lined (but not oiled) baking sheet for ~13 minutes.
- Make Grits or Polenta: Cook grits according to package instructions.
- Make Puttanesca: Bring a large pan to medium high heat and add olive oil to lightly coat the pan. When hot add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add capers, artichokes, pepperoncinis, oregano, tomato sauce, and chives. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Add meatballs and cook covered ~ 15-20 minutes.
- Serve meatballs and sauce over polenta. Garnish with fresh sage, parmesan, and sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- 13 x 18 baking sheets – for bakin’ the meatballs. I use these “jellyroll” sheets for baking nearly everything.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Sausage, Meatballs, Comfort Food, Grits, Polenta, Marinara, Sauce