Braised Red Wine Beef Short Ribs
Braised beef short ribs that fall off the bone. This recipe makes me want to dance when I take the first bite. Don’t have time to cook it on the stovetop? Throw all the ingredients in a Crock-Pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours but cut the water and wine by half.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 3 Hours
- Total Time: 3 hours 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Crockpot / Instapot / Braised
- Cuisine: International
- 4 1/2lb beef short ribs, lightly salted & peppered
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups (~8 ounces) onions, diced
- 2 cups (~8 ounces) celery, diced
- 2 cups (~8 ounces) carrots, diced
- 2 cups (~8 ounces) red pepper, diced
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- ~ 2 Tbsp all purpose (or gluten free) flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp rosemary, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef broth or water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
If using a Crock-Pot: Throw all the ingredients in a Crock-Pot and cook on low for 7-8 hours but cut the water and wine by half.
- If using the Stovetop: Preheat oven to 300F.
- Bring a large OVENPROOF (cast iron is preferred) pan/pot to medium high heat on the stovetop and add 1 Tbsp oil (enough to lightly cover the bottom of the pan). When hot add lightly salted and peppered beef short ribs and sear ~ 1-2 minutes on each side. You will need to sear the ribs in batches. Remove ribs and set aside.
- Reduce heat and add onions, celery, carrots, and red pepper to same pan. Cook uncovered ~ 5 minutes (until veggies begin to soften) and stir in tomato paste & dust with flour. When evenly distributed add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered ~ 20 minutes. Place covered ovenproof pot in oven and bake ~ 2 – 2 1/2 hours. You’ll know it’s done if the beef easily falls/shreds from your fork.
- Serve over smashed potatoes or rice. Add sea salt to taste. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Splatter Guard – To keep grease from popping on my face, hands, and stovetop.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Beef, Beef Ribs, Short Ribs, Crockpot, Instant Pot, Braised, Dairy Free, Comfort Food