I love cold salads: tuna, egg, chicken. These recipes are easy to make and keep in the refrigerator for a couple days. Take ’em to the mountains, or the beach, or add to your picnic basket. Serve ’em with bread/toast, crackers, or with vegetables/salad, or just by itself. Dairy free folks use vegannaise instead of mayo.
Homemade Mayo is one of my favorite things to whip up by hand. Some people use a food processor or blender but I like to see and feel the dressing get thicker as it’s made. This also enables you to determine when it’s the right thickness. It’s also very simple to make once you get the hang of it. Watch my video below to learn how to make mayo.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5
- Category: Main Dish / Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 5 medium pickle, diced
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 3-4 Tbsp fresh parsley or dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a little sea salt. Add chicken to boiling water for ~ 5-8 minutes (depending on thickness) or until juices run clear. Remove from heat, drain, and allow to cool. Basically, you need to cool these guys down before making the salad. Dice or pull apart the chicken breast and place in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bowl. Stir and add mayonnaise and sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with crackers, on sandwiches, or over crispy romaine lettuce. Be happy. Beckie
TIP: Making rice later? Save the water you boiled the chicken in and use that as a weak broth to flavor other things.
Things In My Kitchen:
- 3 quart mixing bowl – I love these flat bottomed & wide brimmed mixing bowls for combining ingredients with veggies for roasting and for making salads. The 2 quart and 3 quart are my “go to” bowls for almost everything.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Chicken Salad, Paleo, Whole 30, Salad, Sandwich, Fast Dinners, Easy Dinners, Gluten Free, Appetizer