Chunky Egg Salad
Traditional chunky egg salad with diced eggs, tangy pickles, and crunchy celery. You’ll need mayo for this simple recipe and you can either buy it or look at my recipe online or watch Eat Simple Food’s video on how to make it at home.
Homemade Mayo is one of my favorite things to whip up by hand. Some people use a food processor or blender but I like to see and feel the dressing get thicker as it’s made. This also enables you to determine when it’s the right thickness. It’s also very simple to make once you get the hang of it. Watch my video below to learn how to make mayo.
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- 12 hard boiled diced eggs, peeled & diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/3 cup red onions, finely diced
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup dill pickles, diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise + more to taste
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Place eggs in a large pot and cover with water by ~ 1 1/2 “. Turn the heat to high, set a timer for 18 minutes, and cover pot. When eggs begin to boil, reduce heat to a simmer and boil uncovered. Drain, run under cool water or place in ice bath to cool. Peel & dice.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and gently stir. Add more mayo to desired consistency. Add salt to taste. Serve on toasted bread, over greens, or just grab a spoon. Happy Eating! Beckie
- Add chopped parsley or dill to change it up if you like.
- Eggs aren’t peeling and playing nice? Bummer… You have fresh eggs and that makes them hard to peel. Take a breathe and do the best you can. The best advice for the most consistency I can give is to plunge the cooked eggs in ice water and let sit at least 20 minutes. Gently try to crack the whole egg with a lot of gentle pushes on the shell. When it’s all cracked, find your opening and peel away.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Pastry chopper / scrapper – I use this all the time for scooping up ingredients and placing them into a bowl or pan.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thanks for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Eggs, Egg Salad, Gluten Free, Keto, Low Carb, Vegetarian