Grapefruit and Olive Crostini
Crostini are little toasts. This grapefruit, rosemary, and olive recipe combination is fresh and popping. Use cream cheese mixed with a little honey if you can’t find mascarpone.
- Prep Time: 35 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 30 Pieces
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: International
- one large baguette, sliced ~ 1/4″ thick on the diagonal
- two medium grapefruits, supremed & chopped into 1/2″
- four 3″ sprigs of rosemary
- 20 Kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 cups mascarpone
- vegetable oil for frying
- e.v. olive oil for basting crostini
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Slice one large baguette on the diagonal (you should get ~30-35 pieces). Baste each side of every slice with a little e.v. olive oil and lightly sea salt and pepper both sides. Bake at 350F ~ 8- 10 minutes uncovered (no need to flip). You want these guys to be crispy but not burnt. Some people say toast until golden, but they’ve gone too long if they start changing to a darker color. After all, you want the roof of your mouth to stay intact…
- Supreme & chop the grapefruits. Supreme means to cut away the skin and the white pith and segment into wedges by removing the membranes and seeds. Here’s a good set of photos that explains it. Reserve any juices from the grapefruit and pour it in your whiskey, spritzer, or water.
- Pour 1″ vegetable oil into a small heavy pan (cast iron works fantastic). Heat oil over medium heat to 350F. You’ll know vegetable oil is ready to be fried with when you flick a little water in it and it gently hisses. Add rosemary and fry for ~ 30 seconds or until sturdy. Transfer to a paper towel and add a touch of sea salt.
- Add olives to the oil and fry for ~ 4 minutes (or until the bubbling stops) over a low to medium sizzling heat. If oil is splashing everywhere and you are scared, you need to turn the burner way down. Remove olives and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Remove the rosemary from the stem and roughly chop. Cut the olives in half when they are cool and place in bowl with grapefruit. Add 1 Tbsp e.v. olive oil and chopped rosemary. Stir and drain juices. Place a dollap of mascarpone (click here for my hands down fav mascarpone) on the crostini. Skip the mascarpone if you are vegan. Happy Eating! Beckie
Things In My Kitchen:
- Silicone Baster (large & small)- For bastin’ the little crostini toasts.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Crostini, Grapefruit, Fruit, Cheese, Olives