Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
This savory roasted sweet potato soup recipe is hearty, filling, and comforting. The vegetable broth amount listed is an estimate. You want to use enough liquid to cover the sweet potatoes by ~ 1 inch. Always err on the side of less liquid as you can always add more after you blend the soup. Vegans use olive or coconut oil in place of butter.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 95 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop / Oven
- Cuisine: International
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 4 cups (+ or -) vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 tsp Pumpkin pie spice mix (or combo of ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Puncture sweet potatoes several times with a fork and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Roast, (turning sweet potatoes ~ 3 times) ~ 50- 75 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. The sweet potatoes will ooze some gooey juices that may burn on the foil. Don’t worry about.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven, slice open carefully (it will be hot!), and allow to cool ~ 5-10 minutes. Remove the skin (it should pull off very easily) and cut the flesh into 1 1/2″ chunks.
- Bring a large pot to medium high heat and add the butter. Add onions to melted butter, reduce heat, cover, and sweat the onions (stirring occasionally) ~ 5-8 minutes or until translucent (you don’t want the onions to brown).
- Toss the sweet potato chunks in with the onions and add the broth to cover by 1 inch. Always err on the side of less liquid as you can always add more after you blend the soup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and add pumpkin pie spice mix. Simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Blend it with an immersion blender or blender until smooth. Add sea salt and spice mix to taste. Add more liquid if you like it thinner. Happy Soupin’! Beckie
- Don’t have time to roast the sweet potatoes? Skip the roasting and peel & dice and throw them in the pot after sauteing the onions. Add the broth and cover the sweet potatoes by ~ 1″. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until tender ~ 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Like your soup chunky? Leave out a couple of chunks of sweet potato as a garnish. This will give the soup more texture.
- Like your soup creamier? Substitute some milk or cream for the vegetable broth.
Things In My Kitchen:
- Immersion blender – affordable, fast, and has little clean up.
- Professional blender – I love my low profile Vitamix blender but this Ninja is almost as good and tons cheaper.
For more kitchen items I love/use: please visit my shop page.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blog & love of cooking.
Keywords: Vegetarian, Can Be Vegan, Gluten Free, Holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Sweet Potatoes